Real Estate Zing
 USA Real Estate  USA Cities  Real Estate Agents List  Fannie Mae  Freddie Mac
 Home  »  USA  »  Georgia  » Section 8 Housing

Georgia Section 8 Housing

Georgia Section 8 housing refers to the Housing Choice Voucher program administered by the Georgia Department of Community Affairs (DCA) in 149 counties of the state. The fund required to run the assistance program is made available by the federal government through HUD, which is also responsible for making rules, regulations and guidelines in order to help local agencies run it effectively. A Section 8 voucher is issued to an eligible applicant meeting the income limits predetermined for the county where he/she is applying. This voucher can be used to meet your rental obligation for a home receiving assistance from the DCA.

Georgia Section 8 Housing Application

Before you could be issued a voucher, you need to apply for a Section 8 housing program in Georgia. It is usually a tenant-based Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program that you find most housing authorities in GA inviting application for. A tenant based voucher is portable and can be used anywhere in the country and hence, it is more popular than a voucher attached to a particular public housing unit.

An announcement is made by DCA when the waiting list for a county opens and a notification is issued regarding application requirements and other details. Applications are accepted only from Georgia residents having incomes below 50 percent of area median income (AMI). Other aspects like family composition, size and its qualification as a family with children, elderly or disabled individuals are also taken into account while giving a final shape to the waiting list.

Georgia Section 8 Housing Assistance

Georgia Section 8 housing assistance comes in the form of rental subsidy, the amount of which depends on the income of the applicant. In general, a beneficiary under the housing assistance program needs to pay only 30 percent of his/her adjusted monthly income toward the rent. The balance of the tenant's share of rent and the fair market rent of the area is paid by the DCA or a Georgia housing authority, as the case may be.

Before allowing a voucher holder to move into a Section 8 home for rent, the agency administering the program must ensure that it meets the housing quality standards of HUD. A lease is signed between the tenant and the landlord for a period of at least one year followed by a Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) contract between the housing authority and landlord.

Below we provide contact details for the Georgia Department of Community Affairs (DCA) as well as some prominent housing authorities of the state.

Georgia Department of Community Affairs
60 Executive Park South, N.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30329-2231
Phone: (404) 327-7912 or (888) 858-6085

Housing Authority of the City of Decatur
P.O. Box 1627
750 Commerce Drive, Suite 300
Decatur, GA 30031
Phone: (404) 270-2100

Atlanta Housing Authority
230 John Wesley Dobbs Avenue
Atlanta, GA 30303
Phone: (404) 892-4700

Housing Authority of Fulton County
10 Park Place, SE, Suite 550
Atlanta, GA 30303
Phone: (404) 730-5841

Jonesboro Housing Authority
203 Hightower Street
Jonesboro, GA 30236
Phone: (770) 478-7282

Housing Authority of Savannah
200 East Broad Street
P.O. Box 1179
Savannah, GA 31402
Office: 912.235.5844
Fax: 912-231-1580
Georgia Real Estate
Agents Commission School License Association
Contract Attorney Investment Broker Jobs
Tax Exam Companies Institute for Sale
Search Map MLS Market Records
Law Listings License Requirements License Renewal License Reciprocity
Real Estate License Search License Course License Law Cities  

Section 8
Waiting List
Land Lord
Home Foreclosures
Foreclosed Properties
Home Mortgage
Rental Homes
Homes for Rent
Association and Board
Association of Realtors
Housing Authority
Real Estate Appraisers Board
Top Builders
DR Horton
Home Builders
Pulte Homes
Centex Homes
Property Taxes
Unclaimed Property
Property Tax
Building a Home
Facility Management
Carpet Cleaning