Do you want to enjoy the company of other people who are your age? If so, then come join us in this blog post! We will be looking at 12 communities in Broward County that are for 55+ adults.
These places have amenities like walking trails, community centers, fitness rooms and more. So if you’re thinking about downsizing or just want to get out of the house more often, check out these great communities today!
- The 12 Best Independent Living Communities in Broward County
- 1. Waterside Landing, Margate
- 2. The Forum at Deer Creek, Deerfield Beach
- 3. The Preserve at Palm-Aire, Pompano Beach
- 4. Wynmoor Village, Coconut Creek
- 5. Five Star Premier Residences of Hollywood
- 6. Atria Willow Wood, Fort Lauderdale
- 7. Covenant Living of Florida, Plantation
- 8. Park Summit, Coral Springs
- 9. The Horizon Club, Deerfield Beach
- 11. Belmont Village Fort Lauderdale, Fort Lauderdale
- 12. Independence Hall – A Marrinson Senior Care Residence, Fort Lauderdale
- Activities and Services Expected of a Good Independent Living Communities
- Benefits of Staying in an Independent Living Community
- Drawbacks of Staying in an Independent Living Community
- 1. Routines, Routine Ruts and Routinized Living
- 2. The “I’m Not Welcome Here Anymore” Syndrome, or Not Feeling Welcome Enough
- 3. The Feeling of Never Being Alone
- 4. The Feeling That You Won’t Be Able to Do What You Want When You Retire
- 5. The Feeling That You Will Lose All of Your Friends and Won’t Make Any New Ones
- What You Should Feel Staying in an Independent Living Community
The 12 Best Independent Living Communities in Broward County
For the 55+ crowd, there are so many great communities to choose from in Broward County. There’s no reason that you should feel lonely or isolated when you can spend time with other people who have the same experiences and interests as you do.
These 12 independent living communities will be a great place for seniors to call home!
Tucked away in the quiet, safe community of Margate you’ll find Waterside Landing. It’s ideal for seniors who are looking to make new friends and enjoy a laid-back lifestyle.
- This 55+ active lifestyle community offers many amenities including an onsite café, fitness center, heated pool with elevated spa, bocce ball court, walking trails and a community center.
- The Waterside Landing solutions started in 1978 opened it’s doors to the 55+ community only in 2019, but it has already made its mark on the community! This is an ideal place for seniors who are looking to get active and meet new people.
Waterside Landing has been family owned and operated since 1980, so they have plenty of experience making sure all the residents are happy. This warm-hearted team will make you feel right at home from day one!
For those who want to enjoy some peace and quiet, you’ll find it in The Forum at Deer Creek. No matter your interests, this 55+ community has something for everyone! You can take a walk around their beautiful grounds or work out at the fitness center with friends.
- Their friendly staff is always available to help make everything run smoothly so that residents are able to relax when they are not working. The Forum at Deer Creek offers amenities like an elevated spa, heated pool with slide and plenty of social activities!
- When it comes to dining, you’ll enjoy the bistro-style menu with plenty of healthy options. Their chef prepares delicious meals every day that are served buffet style for breakfast and lunch. There’s always a different dinner special each night so that residents never get bored!
- The staff is helpful in guiding residents through the application process for The Forum at Deer Creek. They can help you get all of your documents prepared to move in quickly and easily!
The Forum at Deer Creek has been providing active retirement living since 2002, so residents know that they will be taken care of here. Their customer service team is available 24/365 so if anything happens while you live there, someone will always be available to help.
Located in the beautiful community of Pompano Beach is The Preserve at Palm-Aire. You’ll enjoy all that this 55+ lifestyle community has to offer including the beautiful pool, fitness center and plenty of fun activities.
- There are also many other services available like housekeeping, transportation options and concierge service if you need any help around your home. The Preserve at Palm-Aire is here for all of their residents’ needs!
- It’s capacity reaches up to 300 seniors and offers many amenities like a business center, library and even an art studio. Residents can take advantage of the theater room to watch movies or enjoy bingo night!
- The Preserve at Palm-Aire has been serving for more than 30 years now and most of their employees have been working there for over ten years. Their friendly staff is here to make sure that all residents are happy and comfortable so you can focus on relaxing when you’re not working or spending time with friends!
The Preserve at Palm-Aire welcomes everyone who wants a fun, active lifestyle in Pompano Beach.
4. Wynmoor Village, Coconut Creek
If you’re looking for an active 55+ community where there is always something to do then Wynmoor Village in Coconut Creek should be your first choice. With so many amenities, residents are constantly enjoying themselves here!
- There’s no need to worry about transportation because they offer it as well as several other services like pet care and housekeeping. Wynmoor Village truly cares about their residents which is why they have been in business for many years!
- In 1989, Wynmoor Village was one of the first 55+ communities in South Florida and now they are celebrating their 29th anniversary! You can enjoy many amenities like a nice heated pool, business center, library and more.
- They also offer restaurant-style dining three times per day with food that is prepared fresh daily for breakfast lunch and dinner.
- The staff at Wynmoor Village is always available to help residents whenever they need anything. The staff truly cares about their community and the people who live there which makes them great at what they do!
You’ll be able to find all that you’re looking for in one 55+ lifestyle community, Wynmoor Village. They are here to make sure that your retirement is relaxing and fun!
If luxury is what you’re after, then Five Star Premier Residences of Hollywood should be your top pick. This beautiful community has it all from their great amenities to the friendly staff that can’t wait to help!
- You’ll find everything you need here including a pool with cabanas and tennis courts for some outdoor fun. If you want the best of the best then Five Star Premier Residences is perfect for you!
- This community is also conveniently located near great shopping, restaurants and entertainment.
- The amenities include an amazing heated pool with cabanas, fitness center and much more. There are also plenty of fun things to do like billiards, bocce ball or outdoor movies!
The staff at Five Star Premier Residences is dedicated to making sure that your retirement is the best it can be which makes them great at what they do!
6. Atria Willow Wood, Fort Lauderdale
Everyone will feel welcome at Atria Willow Wood! This 55+ independent living community has so many amenities and services to offer. Their dining is amazing and they even have a beauty salon onsite!
- There’s no need for transportation because there are shuttles that go to the mall, medical center and more. Residents can also enjoy social activities like game night, bingo and outdoor concerts. Atria Willow Wood is truly a great community for seniors who want the best!
- In 2021, Atria Willow Wood received the Best of Senior Living Award. Atria Senior Living is part of a worldwide network that has been caring for seniors since 1964.
- Atria Willow Wood is a convenient location near I-95 and the Turnpike that has many shops, restaurants, parks and medical facilities.
- The amenities are endless at Atria Willow Wood including two swimming pools, fitness center and so much more! They also have an amazing salon where residents can get their hair done or even play bingo with friends.
- Atria Willow Wood offers restaurant-style dining around the clock so that residents are never hungry! The staff members here truly work hard to provide excellence which is why they have won awards.
Everyone deserves a luxurious retirement where you’ll be taken care of and Atria Willow Wood can do just that for you!
Covenant Living of Florida is a great place for seniors who love to stay active! It’s located in Plantation and has plenty of amenities including an elevated pool, fitness center and beauty salon.
- Covenant Living of Florida, a retirement community in Fort Lauderdale, provides many perks to its residents.
- It is close to the beach, golf courses, and many other locations.
- Covenant Living of Florida offers an array of apartment floor plans and amenities. It is located just 30 minutes away from Miami Beach.
There are also many social activities available like holiday parties, bocce ball tournaments and more. Covenant Living makes sure that everyone feels welcome which is why they have been open for many years.
Park Summit is a 55+ community that has it all! If you want to live independently but still feel comfortable, Park Summit can make everything easy for you.
- Independent Living at Park Summit is about hospitality and a carefree lifestyle. The Independent Living at Park Summit provides medical care in the future.
- The amenities are amazing at Park Summit and include a heated pool, fitness center, bocce court and much more! There’s also an onsite salon for residents which is great.
- There are social events like wine tasting or even karaoke night so that you don’t have to feel bored ever again.
- Their one-bedroom apartments are spacious and come with fully equipped kitchens along with washers and dryers in every unit.
- Their large clubhouse includes daily activities like bingo, arts and crafts and more.
Their mission is to help seniors live comfortably in their own homes longer which is why they have been open for many years!
The Horizon Club has everything that you could ever want in an active 55+ community! The amenities are amazing and the staff is friendly.
- The Horizon Club in Deerfield Beach is a place where you can do whatever makes you happy. The Horizon Club is where you can take fitness classes or join a discussion.
- The amenities are endless and include a rooftop sun deck, heated swimming pool with Jacuzzi and more. There’s even an onsite beauty salon where residents can get their hair done or nails polished!
- If you’re looking for social activities, The Horizon Club has it all from holiday parties to live entertainment.
- You’ll also have amazing views of the Intracoastal Waterway which is perfect! The staff members here are friendly and always willing to help.
- The Horizon Club in Deerfield Beach, Florida provides a luxurious lifestyle for 55+ residents by providing endless amenities and social activities.
- It has its own onsite beauty salon where residents can get their hair done or nails polished. The Horizon Club will help seniors enjoy their retirement to the fullest!
- You’ll love their pool area which includes a water slide, cabanas for lounging and a heated spa to enjoy all year long. If you want to stay healthy then there’s no need to go anywhere else because The Horizon Club has it all including a fitness center, walking trails and yoga classes!
They also have plenty of entertainment options like bingo night, live music events and more. This is definitely one place where you’ll want to spend the rest of your life!
UpsideHoM Fort Lauderdale is the best of everything when it comes to 55+ communities! Their clubhouse has amazing amenities like a theater, library and beauty salon.
- They even have an onsite restaurant with daily happy hours for you to enjoy socializing with your new neighbors.
- Residents are truly treated like royalty here which is why UpsideHoM has been open for years.
- If you want to stay active then there are plenty of options like basketball courts, a tennis court and even shuffleboard! If you’re tired after all the fun activities then just relax by their Olympic-sized pool or catch up on your favorite TV show in one of their theater rooms. This is truly a place that you’ll never want to leave!
UpsideHōM is a revolutionary new way to live independently at any age. Founders Jake Rothstein and Peter Badgely wanted to find a better way for grandparents to live, without hassle.
Belmont Village Fort Lauderdale is a 55+ community that offers the best in every area! Located just outside of downtown, this place has it all.
- Belmont Village Fort Lauderdale is a retirement community that offers innovative programs and resident-centered living.
- Belmont Village Fort Lauderdale is a luxury senior living community that is nestled in the heart of Fort Lauderdale.
- You’ll enjoy their pool with cabanas for lounging and an amazing sundeck to take some time out during the day.
- There’s also an onsite restaurant and beauty salon so you don’t have to leave if you want to get your hair done or grab a bite!
This is also one of the few communities in Fort Lauderdale that has transportation for seniors so there’s no need to worry about getting around. If you’re looking for an active community where you can make friends and never run out of things to do, then Belmont Village is the place for you!
Independence Hall is the perfect place for independent seniors who are looking to have fun! Located in Fort Lauderdale, this 55+ community has everything you need.
- You’ll love their amazing activities like movie nights, trivia contests and more! There’s also a state-of-the-art fitness center with personal trainers on staff and even physical therapy if you need it.
- If that’s not enough to keep you busy then check out their social calendar because there are always events happening like bingo, live music and even guest speakers who come in once a month! This is truly one of the best 55+ communities for seniors looking to have fun!
- Located just outside of Fort Lauderdale, Covenant Living offers everything that you could ever want from an active 55+ community. Their amenities are top-notch and include swimming pools, bocce ball courts and even a spa! There’s also onsite laundry facilities so there’s no need to head to the laundromat.
If you’re tired, then just relax in their theater room or grab something tasty at one of their onsite restaurants! If you want a place that truly has it all then look no further than Covenant Living!
Activities and Services Expected of a Good Independent Living Communities
Independent Living Communities are similar to retirement home options, but they provide senior living for people who still want to maintain a certain degree of independence.
We will go over some of the usual activities and services you can expect from a good Independent Living Community.
Buddy System: If you live by yourself in an independent living community, you will likely attract the attention of your neighbors. Because most people who live in such homes are retired or nearing that stage, it’s not unusual for older friendships to form and redevelop.
However, sometimes you’ll want to make some new friends and maybe even establish a relationship with someone your age. This is where the buddy system comes into play; community managers often pair up a newcomer with a veteran of the community to help them get on their feet.
The buddy system is less about structured friendship and more about helping people get used to their new environment. The idea is that, through the buddy system, you’ll be able to share resources with your buddy or learn some wisdom from someone who has already settled in.
Friendly Competitions: Some communities have annual friendly competitions between residents. These often range from competitions to see who can grow the best tomatoes in their garden, to wager-style betting on who will be able to walk the most steps or take the most flights of stairs. These friendly competitions help keep people active and engaged.
Nursing Assistance: A lot of independent living communities have some sort of nursing assistance available, whether it’s at night or during the day. These services are usually affordable for residents, but they also offer peace of mind to residents by making sure there is always someone available if you need help getting out of bed or moving around after an illness.
Dog Walking Services: Many communities have rules against pets, but these rules don’t include service animals. If you live in a community that welcomes service animals, there might be times when you can’t take your pup out for a walk. Some communities offer free dog walking services, especially to those who may not be well enough to walk their pets themselves.
Housekeeping Services: Whether it’s daily cleaning or weekly chores, most independent living communities have some sort of housekeeping service. You might feel that you want to do everything yourself, but it’s worth trading a few chores for the peace of mind that comes with someone else taking care of your home when you aren’t able to.
Healthcare: Sometimes you may need medical attention, either for something minor like a cold or something more serious like a broken hip. Many communities offer healthcare services that are available to residents 24/7.
Restaurant Nearby: If the community doesn’t have any restaurants nearby, it might not be worth moving in. After all, if you can’t get out to eat when you want, then there’s no point in living in an independent living community.
Library Nearby: A lot of people who live by themselves don’t get out much, so they spend a lot of time reading books. Independent living communities that are close to local libraries will give residents access to more books than they would be able to get through at home.
Weekly Bingo/Trivia Nights: Some communities like to host weekly bingo and trivia nights. This is a good way for you to get out of the house while also socializing with other people.
Quiet Hours: There are certain times when people should be able to rest without disturbance, especially in an independent living community. This is why most communities enforce quiet hours on themselves, especially at night.
Clubhouse: A lot of independent living communities have a clubhouse where residents can socialize and relax. These are not just for older people, but they’re designed to help you get over the hump that is retirement by helping you meet new people who share your interests.
Computer Lab: A lot of people who live by themselves, especially older people, don’t have a computer or internet access. Independent living communities can afford to offer computers and free wifi for all their residents
Social Gatherings: Some people who live on their own miss having the opportunity to socialize with others. Every community has a different medium for bringing everyone together, whether it’s pot-lucks or bingo nights.
Summer Camps: Many independent living communities offer summer camps that allow residents to spend some time away from home while also giving them the opportunity to meet other people who are interested in the same things.
Gardens: Some independent living communities have beautiful gardens that residents can enjoy, especially if they don’t have a green thumb of their own.
Shopping: If you don’t feel like going shopping, there’s no need to worry. Many communities have an arrangement with local grocery stores and other vendors so that residents can pay for their food and merchandise online and have it delivered right to their homes.
If you don’t find these in a certain community, don’t be afraid to ask the management what they can do for you. Some independent living communities make an extra effort to accommodate their residents’ needs.
Benefits of Staying in an Independent Living Community
There are many benefits of staying in independent living. Here is a list of some of them:
1. You can live on your own terms.
2. Less maintenance cost and less time spent on house work since you have staff to do it for you.
3. No need to worry about mowing the lawn, shoveling the snow, changing the furnace filters every month, etc.
4. A sense of community with other residents
5. Having lots of activities on site to do on a daily basis.
6. You get your monthly services fees paid by the government if you are eligible for it (check with your local government).
7. You can have your own room and it is totally independent from others with a private bathroom.
8. Access to transportation services such as taking the bus, mini-van or taxi for free within your community.
9. Lots of amenities such as swimming pools, gardens, exercise rooms/gym, billiards room, atriums with sofas and recliners, theatre rooms etc.
10. A free shuttle service of your community for your trips outside like doctor appointment or grocery shopping at the mall (call them ahead of time to schedule).
11. A lot of social activities with food and drinks.
12. You can decorate/renovate your room as you wish.
13. The staff is very helpful and there to answer any questions you may have 24/7.
14. You can opt for meals if you so desire or cook your own food without hassle.
15. Your rent will not go up every year like in other apartments, condos or houses that are rented out on a monthly basis.
16. You don’t have to worry about the maintenance of your home since it is being done for you by staff.
17. The security system/camera installed in each building makes you feel safe at all times.
There are so many other benefits. If you are interested, you should see if there is an independent living community near you. You can have a roommate or not if you so prefer. Lots of residents have their own room and share the common areas such as kitchen, living room, dining room with others in the same building.
Some even eat out once in awhile for special events or just because they feel like going out to a restaurant instead of eating in the dining room. If you live far away from your family or friends, it would be nice for them to visit you at least once a month or more if they are driving very long distances.
You can call ahead of time to reserve a place for your visitors to park their cars free of charge by calling the office staff 24/7.
Drawbacks of Staying in an Independent Living Community
There are indeed many benefits living in an independent living community, but there are also some drawbacks. Let’s talk about these drawbacks:
1. Routines, Routine Ruts and Routinized Living
Independent living communities tend to be fairly routine in their daily practices and ways of life. Essentially, these communities provide a “one size fits all” solution for the residents they house.
This can be helpful in many ways because routines bring about stability and security in daily life.
The drawback to routine, however, is that it can cause a “rut” (or routine rut) in living which can prevent one from growing and developing as an individual. Routines and routinized living often inhibit the development of creativity and innovation.
2. The “I’m Not Welcome Here Anymore” Syndrome, or Not Feeling Welcome Enough
When people live by themselves they tend to feel more comfortable and at home in their own space. They are free to do what they want when they want without having to worry about hurting anyone else’s feelings.
When someone lives with other people, however, this can be quite different. Some people naturally enjoy being around others and are friendly. Others, however, tend to keep to themselves. Some people rather enjoy being alone at times or have hobbies that they don’t want to share with other people.
Another drawback of living in an independent living community is the fact that many residents start feeling not welcome enough to manage on their own. These communities do require management and staff to keep the facility running at a high level. Not everyone feels comfortable around these people, especially if they are always watching over your shoulder.
3. The Feeling of Never Being Alone
Many people who live in an independent living community start feeling that another person is always with them, even when that other person isn’t there physically. This can be very uncomfortable in some cases and may even cause anxiety in the residents.
Feelings of not having privacy or space can be difficult in such a ” close quarters” environment. It is good to have people around who you know are there for help, but it is also important to have some time alone to process everything that has happened throughout your day and to relax.
4. The Feeling That You Won’t Be Able to Do What You Want When You Retire
Many people who approach retirement age feel that if they move into an independent living community, their life will be “over” and they will no longer be able to do what they want when they retire. They worry that they will be stuck doing the same things day in and day out without having any fun or time for themselves.
This is a common misconception that can lead to anxiety about moving into an independent living community. In fact, many people who retire end up filling their free time by getting involved with local activities and hobbies. You will always have enough time for yourself when you are retired, but it’s important to make time for yourself when you aren’t busy with work, too.
5. The Feeling That You Will Lose All of Your Friends and Won’t Make Any New Ones
It is true that friendships change over the years, but it is also true that many people end up losing touch with old friends. This can be a difficult experience for many people.
When you move into an independent living community, however, this feeling of loss is even more pronounced. You may feel that you will never meet any new friends or that no one will ever want to be your friend. It really isn’t the case, of course. Many of your old friends will still want to stay in touch with you, and you will undoubtedly meet new friends as well.
What You Should Feel Staying in an Independent Living Community
At the end of the day, it is important that you let go of any pre-conceived notions about independent living communities. Many people are surprised by all the different activities they are able to participate in once they move into their own apartment after retirement.
Many people feel that they finally start living for themselves and get the opportunity to do all of the things they want without feeling guilty or restricted in any way.
In order to overcome fear of moving into an independent living community, you need to try and see these communities from a different perspective than you normally would. The best way to achieve this is by visiting an independent living community and talking to the people who live there. This will give you a better idea of the opportunities that come with being a resident in these communities.
Picking an independent living community in Broward County can be a difficult choice to make, but it also has many benefits. Once you get past the idea of not being able to do what you want or feeling like your life is over after retirement, moving into an independent living community can actually be very rewarding and stress-free.
If you are looking for more information about Broward County’s best independent living communities, check out and review the list above.
Please consult a licensed real estate agent or appropriate professional
Information changes almost daily. None of the authors, contributors, administrators, or anyone else connected with RealEstateZing, in any way whatsoever, can be responsible for your use of the information contained in or linked from these web pages.