A new travel destination is always exciting, especially if you’re planning to visit one that has a unique culture and lifestyle. Key West, Florida certainly qualifies as such a place.
It’s warm year-round and the food is amazing! But before you start packing your bags for this tropical paradise, we want to give you some insight into what it’s like to live here: Do You Need a Car in Key West?
- More About Key West, Florida – Location, Population, and Size
- What It’s Like Living in Key West
- But the Real Question Is Do You Need a Car in Key West?
- Step-by-step Instructions for Getting to Key West – Transportation
- Key West Driving Tips – What Car to Rent?
- Where to Stay in Key West if You’re Visiting for Spring Break or a Weekend Getaway
- Final Thought
More About Key West, Florida – Location, Population, and Size
Key West is located in the lower Florida Keys, which are actually a part of Monroe Country. It’s approximately 90 miles south of Miami, not far from Cuba at all! Key West itself has an estimated population of just over 25 thousand people. It’s also the county seat of Monroe County.
Key West is a small island, so it takes only about an hour to drive from one side to another. The size of Key West can be considered as medium-sized for such a popular travel destination, with almost 13 thousand acres making up this part of Florida.
What It’s Like Living in Key West
Most people who visit this destination are amazed by the laid-back lifestyle. People in Key West do not work particularly hard, at least when compared to other places in Florida. Many of them have jobs and careers that allow them to live a stress-free life: working as a bartender or waiter during the day and then hitting up the local night spots in the evening.
That’s not to say that people who live here don’t have jobs, it simply means that they’re more concerned with having fun than working all day long. Key West is unlike any other place in Florida – its residents are truly unique! If you want to get away from your daily routine and enjoy a lifestyle that’s completely different from your own, Key West is the place to visit!
But the Real Question Is Do You Need a Car in Key West?
Locals Answered – Yes, unless you plan on staying mostly around the areas that are easily accessible by foot or bicycle. Public transportation is available here but it’s not extensive so renting a car would definitely be useful if you want to get around this island.
Be sure to do your research before you visit Key West, especially if it’s going to be your first time here. Find out how long you’ll need a car for – this will help make the decision easier! If all else fails, ask locals what they think about renting a vehicle when visiting this destination. You might just get an honest answer from someone who’s been here before.
Consider taking your own vehicle with you on vacation; you’ll definitely need it!
Step-by-step Instructions for Getting to Key West – Transportation
If you’re planning on visiting Key West, here are some helpful tips that will make the trip easier:
- The best way to get around this destination is by car. There’s no public transportation available here except for a few local bus lines. You do not want to miss out on all of the attractions and sites because you don’t have a vehicle.
- Renting a car in Key West is easy, and you can get one at the airport or from various local agencies around town. Keep in mind that traffic here can sometimes be heavy due to tourism during certain times of year (especially high season). Be patient when driving; it’s not like other places where everyone rushes to get where they need to be.
- Be sure to take the scenic route when driving around Key West; this island has some of the most gorgeous views you’ll ever see! The Overseas Highway (also known as U.S Route One) will lead you by miles and miles of beachfront vistas, lush mangrove swamps, and even the Atlantic Ocean!
- Gas is not particularly cheap in Key West. If you’re on a budget, try to fill up your tank before arriving here and drive as little as possible during your visit. You can get around this small island quite easily by foot or bicycle; it’s definitely not necessary to rent a car if you plan on staying within the city.
Key West Driving Tips – What Car to Rent?
If you decide to rent a car in Key West, there are some important things that you should keep in mind:
- The first thing is speed limits: do not go over 55 mph or you’ll be ticketed. You should also make sure not to turn right on red – it’s illegal here!
- You should avoid drinking and driving as well, since the legal limit is a blood alcohol content of .08 percent. If you’re caught with this amount in your system, expect some serious penalties such as fines and jail time.
- If you’re driving in Key West, remember to drive on the right side of the road.
- You should also keep your car doors locked and windows up at all times, since there’s a significant threat from hurricanes. You’ll want to stay safe while visiting this beautiful destination: take precautions before you arrive and then enjoy yourself once you get here!
- Keep these things in mind and you should be fine!
Taking these tips in mind will help you get around Key West easily.
Where to Stay in Key West if You’re Visiting for Spring Break or a Weekend Getaway
Finding a place to sleep while visiting beautiful Key West is easy. The city has a wide range of accommodations to choose from, including everything from luxury hotels and historic bed & breakfasts to quaint vacation rentals and seaside resorts!
Key West Hotel Options – Deluxe Hotels
There are several exquisite upscale hotels in Key West you can check out: the Island House Beach Resort, Casa Marina Resort, and The Westin Casuarina to name a few.
Key West Bed & Breakfast Options – Unique Accommodations
For something truly special that’s still affordable, check out the La Mer B&B or the Garden Gate Guesthouse: both of these places offer incredible service in an intimate setting!
If you can’t afford to stay at any of these places, there are plenty of other options to choose from!
Key West vacation rentals offer more space and privacy than hotels do. One great option is the Old Town Manor House: this place has three bedrooms that can accommodate up to six people in total per night. You’ll enjoy a fully-equipped kitchen here, as well as free WiFi and cable TV.
Key West Vacation Rentals – Choose the Best One for You!
When choosing a vacation rental, make sure it has everything you need to be comfortable during your stay here in Key West. Look at pictures online before booking anything so that you can get an idea of what’s available; if there are any amenities you need make sure they’re included.
Key West Guest Houses – Great Options for Couples & Groups!
If you want to stay in a guesthouse while visiting Key West, there are several great options that include shared rooms and private suites: the Florida House Hostel is one example of this type of accommodation style. The hostel offers shared and private rooms, as well as a full kitchen.
Key West has everything you need for an enjoyable stay! Take advantage of these tips to find the best accommodations during your visit here.
Key West is an incredibly popular travel destination, but it’s certainly not for everybody. If you’re looking to relax and enjoy life instead of working all day long, then this part of Florida could be the perfect place for you!
But before you make any final decisions, make sure to do some research; check out local forums and the internet at large for more information about Key West.
What is the best way to see Key West?
If you want to get around town with ease, choose a car rather than rely on walking or biking. Even if it’s just for part of your trip, driving will allow you more flexibility and freedom!
How much does it cost to visit Key West?
Key West can be an affordable vacation destination, depending on how much you want to spend and what types of accommodations you can afford. Budget travelers will be able to find affordable options here: just make sure the place has everything you need so that it’s comfortable during your visit!
What is there to do in Key West?
The best way to explore Key West is by foot: it’s impossible not to stop and smell all of the beautiful flowers as they bloom throughout the year. There are also tons of historical sites to check out, including Ernest Hemingway’s house and several other historic homes!
What should I pack for Key West?
Make sure you bring swimwear so that you can enjoy all of the beaches in town; even if it’s just during your stay, this is one place where you can’t forget your swimsuit! Donkey Republic has several great options for both men and women.
Which side of the street do people drive on in Key West?
Driving is on the left-hand side of the road, which means that it’s opposite to what you’d find here in America (and most other places too!)
Please consult a licensed real estate agent or appropriate professional
Information changes almost daily. None of the authors, contributors, administrators, or anyone else connected with RealEstateZing, in any way whatsoever, can be responsible for your use of the information contained in or linked from these web pages.