Elk Grove is a city in Sacramento County, California. Elk Grove became part of the metropolitan area in 2011 when it merged with two other suburban cities: Citrus Heights and Rancho Cordova.
Elk Grove’s growth has been significant since 2000 when its population was about 67,000. The community is thriving with shopping centers and office spaces being constructed at an amazing rate!
Continue reading if you are interested to find out the different pros and cons of living in Elk Grove.
- The Pros of Living in Elk Grove
- The Cons of Living in Elk Grove
- Helpful tips before deciding to live in Elk Grove:
- Final Thought
- What are some things you can do for fun when living in Elk Grove?
- What are the top neighborhoods to live in Elk Grove?
- What is the culture like in Elk Grove? Are there many events and festivals to attend?
- What is the education system like in Elk Grove? Are there any schools that are particularly popular or of higher quality than others?
- What are the most popular types of food in Elk Grove? Are there any local restaurants that people rave about?
- What is considered “safe” or desirable neighborhoods when living in Elk Grove?
- What is there to do during one day when visiting Elk Grove?
The Pros of Living in Elk Grove
It is known as the “City of Trees” and has been named one of the best places to live in America by CNN Money Magazine. With four distinct seasons and many outdoor activities, Elk Grove offers lots for families looking for a safe place to raise their children with an affordable cost of living.
However, as with any town or city, there are pros and cons to living in Elk Grove that potential residents should be aware of before making such a large decision about where they will build their lives together.
The following are pros for living here:
Living costs in this city are less than those of other California cities
– While Elk Grove has a median home value of $442,000, it is still significantly lower than the rest of California’s average. You can save a lot of money and still enjoy an amazing quality of life.
There is very little crime
– Elk Grove’s low crime rate makes it one of the safest cities in California! The National Council for Home Safety and Security ranked Elk Grove one of the 50 safest cities in California.
You will find many families raising their children here
– There are great schools with high graduation rates, as well as plenty to do for kids during the day. Elk Grove is a smaller and quieter city that would be a good place to raise children.
There are lots of business opportunities
– Elk Grove is a great place to start your own company or resettle an existing one. The city of Elk Grove has attracted many top companies, which in turn have provided high-paying jobs. The average income in Elk Grove is higher than the rest of California by 20,000 dollars.
The Sacramento Regional Transit (RT)
– light rail system is a convenient and affordable public transportation option that can take you to most parts of Elk Grove with ease.
You can drive to Sacramento in about an hour, and the Bay Area is reachable by car in 1.5 hours as well as national forests that are reachable within 1-2 hours
An abundance of shopping centers, office buildings, restaurants, and outdoor activities are available for your convenience throughout city limits!
The Cons of Living in Elk Grove
On the other hand, there are some cons for living here:
If you have children, they will need to go to school right away because it does take some time for Elk Grove’s school system to accommodate them
– Elk Grove has grown quickly to be the largest city in Sacramento County, but it’s infrastructure can’t keep up. This can be challenging if you are still waiting for housing or have other obligations. New schools take time to build, so the existing ones can get stretched for resources.
The commute is long because of the distance between major cities
– The drive from Elk Grove to downtown Sacramento takes about an hour, which isn’t terrible but it certainly has its drawbacks. Traffic jams in Elk Grove have been getting worse as more people move there. As the city is growing and the commute to Sacramento can be double its normal length of 20 minutes.
There aren’t many places to go outside of Elk Grove. You will need a car or be very willing to travel in order to access restaurants, shopping malls and other large entertainment venues.
Taxes are high
– Elk Grove has a median home value of $442,000 and an average income per capita in the area of $45k. Because this city is so expensive to live in, you can expect your taxes will be higher than they would be somewhere else. This isn’t necessarily a downside because it contributes to keeping the town safe and beautiful.
The people in Elk Grove are split between conservatives and liberals
– While there is no actual divide, some residents may be resistant to change because of their political beliefs. It is important for potential residents to consider whether this will affect the way they interact with others in the area or how open-minded they are willing to become when living here.
It is also important to consider cost of living, traffic conditions, amenities and safety measures when choosing which city you want to live.
Elk Grove is a great place to live if you are looking for a safe community with affordable living costs. However, there are some things to consider before moving here – potential residents should be aware of both the pros and cons before making any commitments about where they will build their lives together.
Helpful tips before deciding to live in Elk Grove:
Consider what is most important to you and your family when making this decision.
- If Elk Grove seems like a good fit for you, take some time to look at the potential neighborhoods before choosing where you want to live. Talk with current residents about which areas have been experiencing growth in order to get an idea of how things might be changing in the future.
- Be patient and flexible when looking for a place to live – this city is growing fast, so finding housing can take some time if you don’t know where to start!
- -Start your home search by asking friends and co-workers about any new developments or neighborhoods they have heard of that might be worth checking out. This is an effective way to get some insider information before you commit to anything.
- Be prepared for a long commute – the drive from Elk Grove to Sacramento can be double its normal length during peak traffic hours.
- If possible, avoid rush hour when driving between Elk Grove and Sacramento in order to cut down on your travel time. Commuting can be a big pain if you have to drive every day, so planning ahead is the best way to avoid being late for work or appointments.
With these tips in mind, it should be much easier to decide if Elk Grove is a good place for you and your family.
Elk Grove has a lot to offer, but there are also some reasons why you might want to live in another city. Whether or not it’s the perfect place for you depends on what matters most when deciding where to live.
If your family is important and you have enough money, then Elk Grove would be an excellent choice because of its low cost of living and high quality schools. However if you’re looking for more job opportunities with higher salaries than other cities can provide, then one of those cities may better suit your needs.
What are some things you can do for fun when living in Elk Grove?
You can visit the Sacramento Zoo, which is one of the top zoos in California. Elk Grove has a great community theater that offers live performances on stage as well as some popular movies throughout the month.
For outdoor fun, you could head to Folsom Lake for boating and swimming or fishing! The city also hosts various festivals throughout the year including a weekly farmers market.
What are the top neighborhoods to live in Elk Grove?
While there is no perfect neighborhood that everyone will love, three main areas have become popular among residents: Franklin Park, Sheldon Crest and Whitney Oaks. Each has its own unique features as well as proximity to downtown or nearby highways with easy access for commuting.
- Whitney Oaks is a good choice if you want to be close to the Elk Grove Regional Park, which offers many activities including hiking and fishing.
- Franklin Park has an abundance of amenities in its downtown area as well as schools nearby so it’s great for families with young children or teenagers who attend school regularly. The neighborhood also has easy access to the highway.
- Sheldon Crest is perfect for families because it has a wonderful school district and many amenities that are within walking distance or short driving distances including parks, shopping centers and theaters. It also offers quick access to highways with multiple exits in case you need to commute elsewhere regularly like San Francisco or Lake Tahoe if this interests you.
What is the culture like in Elk Grove? Are there many events and festivals to attend?
The city has a great community vibe with several annual events that people enjoy attending together as well as plenty of weekly activities for those who love staying active or socializing regularly. Some examples include League Night at Pudu’s Pub, happy hours at local bars and restaurants, outdoor concerts on the weekends as well as a community market held every Saturday.
What is the education system like in Elk Grove? Are there any schools that are particularly popular or of higher quality than others?
The city has several acclaimed public school districts including Franklin Ridge Elementary School District along with Sheldon High School and Whitney High School. Each has its own unique features and offers extracurricular activities like sports, clubs or music to keep students active both in school and out of school!
What are the most popular types of food in Elk Grove? Are there any local restaurants that people rave about?
The city is known for having an abundance of Mediterranean, Thai and Italian restaurants. People love to try new types of food from around the world in Elk Grove because there are so many unique options for every palate, which can be hard to find in California!
What is considered “safe” or desirable neighborhoods when living in Elk Grove?
The safest neighborhoods are typically the ones that offer quick access to highways like Franklin Ridge or Sheldon Crest. Each has its own unique features and amenities, but both districts have great school ratings as well as easy commuting options in case you need to get around quickly on a daily basis.
What is there to do during one day when visiting Elk Grove?
You can visit the Elk Grove Regional Park, enjoy shopping at one of many local malls like The Shops at Franklin Ridge or catch a movie with friends at Town Square Center. You can also check out some of the popular restaurants for lunch and dinner as well as try exploring different neighborhoods to see what works best for you!
Please consult a licensed real estate agent or appropriate professional
Information changes almost daily. None of the authors, contributors, administrators, or anyone else connected with RealEstateZing, in any way whatsoever, can be responsible for your use of the information contained in or linked from these web pages.