Beer Can Island is a small island off of Longboat Key. It’s not really an “island” as it only has one house on it, but there are plenty of other islands nearby that you can visit. In this blog post we give you Tips For Visiting Beer Can Island!
The best way to get here is by boat and the best time of year to go is in the winter when you’ll see some great sunsets! Read below for more information about visiting this little spot that’s just a stone’s throw from home!
- A Brief History of Beer Can Island
- Beer Can Island: Location, Access, and Regulations
- Beer Can Island: Weather and Sunsets
- Beer Can Island: What to Bring
- Beer Can Island: Activities On the Island
- Beer Can Island: Wildlife
- Tips For Visiting Beer Can Island
- There are couple of things to keep in mind when visiting Beer Can Island:
- Information You Need to Know About Beer Can Island
- What’s the best way to get to Beer Can Island?
- Is there a time to avoid it?
- Is it safe walking around the Island?
- Can I bring my dog?
- Is there any shade?
- Is the island open during the night?
- Do I need a fishing license?
- Where can I park my car and how much does it cost?
- Is Beer Can Island accessible by boat only?
- Is the island close to other beaches?
- Are there lifeguards around the Island?
- Final Thought
A Brief History of Beer Can Island
In the late 1800s, Beer Can Island was known as Rattlesnake Key. It got its current name in the early 1900s when it became a popular spot for anglers to bring their beer cans and drink while they fished. The island has been open to the public since 1975.
Beer Can Island: Location, Access, and Regulations
The island is located just north of Longboat Key. There’s a little bridge that you can see from the mainland at low tide called “the dunes” which serves as an access point for boats or kayaks. You can also drive down to it on Gulf Drive (there used to be a beach there) and park at the end of the road and walk to it, but there is a charge for cars (it’s free if you’re on foot). There are also kayak tours available!
The island itself consists mainly of mangrove trees and sea grass. It’s not really big enough for any other types of vegetation. Due to that, fishing is prohibited. You can, however, shell and swim! It’s also not open for overnight visitors during the summer season.
How to Get There:
The best way to get to Beer Can Island is by boat or kayak. If you have your own boat, there’s a public dock on the island that you can use (there’s also room for parking). Or, you can easily rent a kayak from the mainland and paddle out to it. If neither of those options appeals to you, there are also boat tours that go out there!
How long does it take?
It takes about as long as driving from St. Petersburg or Bradenton (depending on where you live). Usually 30-40 minutes.
There is parking available at the end of the road on Longboat Key if you’re driving. If you’re taking your own boat, there’s a dock available for use at no charge!
Beer Can Island: Weather and Sunsets
The weather on Beer Can Island is great! It’s always a few degrees cooler than the mainland due to the breeze off of the water. The sunsets are fantastic! You get to see the colors of the sky change all through sunset. It’s really amazing and definitely worth checking out if you love nature.
Beer Can Island: What to Bring
Sunscreen, a hat, water, snacks, and drinks! There’s also a little store on the island that sells cold drinks and ice cream. And be sure to pack your camera – it’s a great place for photos.
Beer Can Island: Activities On the Island
Swimming: The water is really clear and you can see a lot of fish and other sea creatures.
Shell hunting: There are some great shells to be found on the island!
Bird watching: The bird life here is pretty diverse. You’ll see everything from pelicans to warblers.
Fishing: Fishing is not allowed on Beer Can Island, but if you have a boat, you can fish from the shoreline.
Kayaking: There are kayak tours available too – just remember to bring your own!
Camping: Beer Can Island is not open to overnight camping.
Hiking: The island is only about half a mile wide by three quarters of a mile long so it’s easy to walk around.
Angler’s Lounge and Grill : This is a little restaurant located on the mainland right next to where you can rent boats and kayaks – they have great food.
Sunset Key Cottages: There are also some small cottages available for rental here which make this an even more affordable trip!
There’s plenty of things to do at Beer Can Island, from swimming and fishing to kayaking and bird watching.
Be sure not leave the island without stopping by Angler’s Lounge for some delicious food!
Beer Can Island: Wildlife
The island is a great place to see wildlife, including birds, fish, manatees, and dolphins. Bird watching is particularly popular here, with a wide variety of species to be seen. You can also go fishing from the shoreline if you have your own boat. And don’t forget to bring your camera – Beer Can Island makes for beautiful photos!
Tips For Visiting Beer Can Island
There are couple of things to keep in mind when visiting Beer Can Island:
- There is no shade on the island so bring a hat or umbrella.
- If you’re looking for a beautiful and peaceful place to spend the day or an afternoon, Beer Can Island is definitely worth checking out. The views of the sky changing all through sunset are amazing and it’s a great place to go bird watching.
- If you want to do some fishing, be sure to have your own equipment! There are also kayak tours available for those who don’t feel like paddling out themselves. And there’s even cottages that you can rent if it sounds more appealing than camping in the summer!
- The island is open from sunrise to sunset. There’s a little store on the island that sells cold drinks and ice cream, but be sure to bring your own snacks and drinks.
- Beachgoers should note that there is no sand on Beer Can Island – it’s all made up of shells. And finally, remember to pack your camera because the wildlife here is really cool and it’s a great place for photos!
- It’s also not open for overnight visitors during the summer season (due to fire danger).
- Also, there is no cell phone service or internet here – it’s the perfect place for a break from all of that stuff anyway.
- No leaving of trash or glass on the island.
There’s something for everyone here – whether you’re looking to get away from your everyday life or just want a fun place to take photos and relax with friends. Just be sure not to leave any trash behind when you go!
Information You Need to Know About Beer Can Island
What’s the best way to get to Beer Can Island?
The easiest way to get to Beer Can Island is by boat. There are a few places on the mainland where you can rent boats and kayaks, or you can bring your own. If you’re not coming by boat, there is also a small dock that you can use to access the island.
Is there a time to avoid it?
While Beer Can Island is open from sunrise to sunset, it’s best to avoid going here during the summer months (June – September) because this is when they’re most likely to have fires and therefore closed.
Is it safe walking around the Island?
The island is only about half a mile wide and three quarters of a mile long so it’s easy to walk around. And since there’s no sand, it’s also safe for kids and those who don’t want to get sandy.
Can I bring my dog?
No, dogs are not allowed on the island.
Is there any shade?
No, unfortunately there isn’t any shade here so bring an umbrella or hat if you plan on staying for awhile.
Is the island open during the night?
No, Beer Can Island is not open for overnight visitors during the summer season due to fire danger.
Do I need a fishing license?
If you are fishing from the shoreline, then no you don’t need a license. However, if you have your own boat and plan on fishing from that then you do need a license.
Where can I park my car and how much does it cost?
There is plenty of parking around the island but it’s free. Just make sure not leave your belongings in the car because there has been some break-ins.
Is Beer Can Island accessible by boat only?
No, it’s also possible to get here via kayak. There are kayak tours available for those who don’t feel like paddling out themselves.
Is the island close to other beaches?
The island is located about halfway between Sarasota and St. Petersburg so it’s pretty close to other beaches – albeit a little bit further away than some of the others.
Are there lifeguards around the Island?
No, there are not lifeguards around the island.
Beer Can Island is a great place to visit. Whether you are looking for a quick trip to the beach, an afternoon on the water with your boat or jet ski rental, or simply want to enjoy some local food and drink without having to drive anywhere, Beer Can Island is the perfect destination.
There’s plenty of things to do and it’s perfect for those who want to escape the crowds at all the other beaches on the coast. So be sure to put it on your list of places to check out!
We hope you found this blog post useful and informative. If you’re thinking about visiting Beer Can Island (Longboat Key), we highly recommend it! This beautiful beach is perfect for anyone who wants to enjoy the sun and the sea.